Sr. Systems Engineer
8:00am - 6:00pm Monday through Thursday
This position provides support as part of the NSE team with all aspects of the local and collocated data center environments. This includes designing, monitoring, supporting, and securing the physical hardware, virtual hardware, operating systems, and applications.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs duties related to the installation and management of server operating systems and application software.
- Optimize configuration and design of the data center environments and the applications they host.
- Performs application upgrades.
- Performs data backup and recovery.
- Responsible for in downloading, installing, and monitoring of patches for server hardware, operating systems and applications.
- Responsible for the monitoring, maintaining, and securing the physical environments of all data centers which includes responding to events which may threaten the security and safety of the equipment and more importantly the data therein.
- Responsible for gathering system requirements for new projects.
- Responsible for designing and configuring the servers and applications for high availability.
- Responsible for working with other teams to resolve complex network, operating system, and application issues.
- Responsible for working with other teams on designing and implementing systems.
- Create and modify advanced shell scripts to automate day-to-day tasks with the ability comprehend and reproduce complex algorithms.
- Windows command shell
- VB Script is a plus
- PHP is a plus
- Perl is a plus
- Cross train, document and inform other team members on operational tasks.
- Create detailed procedures, checklists, troubleshooting documentation, and contribute to the team knowledge base.
- Mentor other team members for cross training on advanced data center administration techniques, configuration, and concepts.
- Research, recommend, and apply available technologies to achieve business objectives and goals.
- Keep professional skill set relevant. This often requires outside work activities related to improving knowledge such as reading, training or preparing for certification.
- Monthly maintenance and patch cycle: must be available on nights, and weekends to participate in monthly patch and maintenance operations as required which may include onsite shifts.
- May require travel in the support of Ministry Events including the administration of a mobile network and server environment.